10/31/2011

Ipe Pool Deck Dreams

As I mentioned before, we have to replace our pool. It's certainly an unexpected and painful expense to bear, however, I'm starting to get a bit excited about the idea of having a pool that reflects my aesthetic preferences. So, to gather ideas and solidify my preferences I've been scouring portfolios of landscape architects and pool companies.

One pool element that I've always loved and keep seeing (especially from the landscape architecture firms) is a wood pool deck. Ipe seems to be the preferred wood for pool decks and countless other outdoor applications. Ipe is a gorgeous, super hard and tough wood that hails from Brazil. Like teak, you can leave it untreated and it will weather to a grayish tone or you can treat/seal it to maintain its rich brown color. I like the look of the latter better. It reminds me of a chic European resort or an exotic tropical destination. It's versatile enough for either setting...the theme that links both styles is luxury and that's what a well-executed wood pool deck evokes to me.

Anyhow, since they are so gorgeous, I thought I'd share some of the photos that I've found during my pool inspiration recon mission...

The Modern Honolulu by R.D. Olson Construction


Hocker Design Group

Hocker Design Group

Hotel du Cap-Eden-Roc, villa Eleana 
Castadiva Resort Floating Pool at Lake Como

Banyan Tree Seychelles


Banyan Tree Seychelles

Banyan Tree Seychelles

Artesian Pools

Unfortunately, using an imported, high-performance wood like Ipe to create a luxe look costs a whole lotta money...shocking, right? So we are trying to figure how we can use Ipe without breaking the budget. Hopefully we can make it work and I'll be able to report back with some pretty pics of my own!

What do you think of wood pool decks? Do you prefer the ones where the wood goes all the way to the edge of the water or the ones with a stone coping?

Do any of you have experience with Ipe? If so, did you treat yours or leave it au naturel? Any tips?

6 comments:

  1. I love the look. How much maintenance does it need? The oiled look is beautiful but the weathered look after a while well, just looks old. Does it get hot in the sun so little feet don't get burned?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’ve been a fan of the Eden Roc for a while, but I had never seen this villa. Oh my, definitely dream house potential!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beyond the gorgeous Ipe, let's talk about the Banyan Tree resort in the Seychelles. I'm adding this to my list of "must visits" for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like that look. I think I prefer the decking all the way to the edge, but I'd worry about treating it with chemicals so close to the water. Hmmm...maybe there's a way around that? The very simple one from Hocker is gorgeous, and they didn't use so much ipe so that could be more budget friendly. And with a simple pool you could keep it simple or go more elaborate with the outdoor decor. Can't wait to see what you choose!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice pictures. I'm planning to have Ipe Decking for my pool, but I am wondering, will chlorinated water harm the finish?

    ReplyDelete