11/11/2011

Fresh Paintings from Lindsay Cowles

New works by Lindsay Cowles caught my eye while browsing Ugallery. I was immediately drawn in by the vibrant color palette. The turbulent brush strokes, layers, depth, and movement in most of her new work is intriguing. The pieces I like best are Kite, Celebration, and Kaleidoscope...there's vitality in each one and I love how they play off each other.

From a design perspective, it's fun to work with artwork like this because you can let it be the key accent in the room. The art can influence the overall color scheme and it can provide a powerful modern counterpoint to traditional furnishings.

If I were hanging them in a room, I would choose a traditional moulding for the frame. Here I used a black and gold frame with a gold fillet (Larson-Julh Deco) for the large piece and a gold frame and a gold fillet (Larson-Juhl Musee) for the smaller ones. All would have a 6" silk mats...for most works on paper, I like a large mat. Here's a mock-up:

Griffin Sofa - Ballard Designs
Pillow pair - Sinhala Linen Print in Jewel - Schumacher
Italian Marble Side Table c. 1950s - Etsy seller TrussandTexture
Milk Glass Vase Collection - Esty seller Vinskord
Leopard Snow Rug - Horchow


Here are the pieces on their own...
 Kaleidoscope, Kite, and Celebration, by Lindsay Cowles


What do you think of the artwork? I think it's really cool and an added bonus is that the pricing is affordable. Each of the pieces above costs between $400-600! Do you like the framing choices? Thank goodness for Larson-Juhl's Interactive Frame Design tool...I use it all of the time!

If you like Lindsay Cowles' work you can purchase her pieces on Ugallery and keep up with her latest work by following her profile there.

Happy weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment