7/30/2013

The Paperback Bookshelf

Just quickly dropping in to tell you about a super cool book storage solution. I saw it on Design Indaba's site and instantly coveted it. Unlike a traditional bookcase, the "Paperback" shelving unit displays books horizontally so that their spines can be more easily read. Along with that functional aspect, the horizontal orientation makes for a stunning visual display. As you'll see below, a mass of colorful books can achieve an aesthetic presence similar to a piece of abstract art.

Studio Parade, the Dutch design group responsible for the creation of the Paperback, calls it the "ode to the book" and I quite agree because it highlights each book and its title and provides a fresh new visual context for enjoying a library. Take a gander...


Without books it looks pretty spartan...almost like cardboard actually. I think this design would be awesome in acrylic!




 Pretty cool design isn't it? I don't think the Paperback comes in multiple sizes or finishes, but I just love the idea of it. I'm itching to experiment with the concept!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh, I have to have that! Do you have any idea if it's available in the U.S.? Website is in Dutch. ;(

    ReplyDelete