9/17/2010

Beantown

I had a great trip to Boston...I really adore that city. It's the epitome of charm and understated sophistication. This is definitely the ideal time of year to visit because the weather is perfect!

View from the hotel...

I was so excited about the cool, crisp weather, that right after I dropped my bag at the hotel in Beacon Hill, I headed out to cruise Charles Street.

Beacon Hill is such a neat neighborhood.

Even the 7-Eleven is classy!

The Boston Common

I got to stay at the Liberty Hotel, which was fantastic. We ate at Clink, a restaurant in the hotel, and it didn't disappoint. I had lobster bisque, AMAZING scallops, and chocolate fondue...yum, obviously. 

After dinner I met up with an old friend (who I've known for almost 25 years, which seems crazy) and his gorgeous, super fun girlfriend. I was thrilled that the lovely Erin, of Elements of Style, and her husband (also super fun) could join us too. We had a few drinks at Alibi...a bar/lounge in the hotel, so I never had to leave the premises!

Here's the stately exterior of the Liberty...

Snazzy hotel bikes...

Escalators up to the lobby floor...

The building was formerly the Charles Street Jail and whoever led the renovation and construction of the hotel did a fabulous job.
 

 
 

Shot of my room...

On to the important stuff...I judge a hotel by the bathroom and the bed.
 

I always pay attention to hotel bathroom design because there is usually some creative space planning going on. Here, I'm loving the extra mirror and ledge that sits away from the sink.

I also like the design of this vanity. It offers lots of counter space and it's smart that the large shelf for towels is suspended off the ground...which makes cleaning the floors much easier.

Well-appointed tub...

In an era of green washing, I'm glad to see that the Liberty design team used their noodle to implement an environmentally responsible solution. I'm referring to the large bottles of Molton Brown shampoo, conditioner, and body wash that are bolted to the walls. I hate the tiny hotel toiletries almost as much as I hate bottled water. They are so wasteful and could easily be replaced by this simple, effective substitute.

As opposed to some luxury hotels where you feel nickel-and-dimed during the whole stay, the Liberty really stepped up to the plate and provided a few memorable complimentary touches. For one, they had a nice big bottle of water and this pretty little box of chocolates waiting in the room. They also offered a glass of champagne when I checked in and most importantly, they had free WIFI! There's also a gratis coffee bar in the lobby during the morning. Needless to say, I'm now a big fan and can't wait to stay there again!

5 comments:

  1. Everything looks fabulous! The Liberty looks so awesome. My husband has been wanting to stay there for a while now, but we still haven't made it to Boston. So glad to hear you had a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. totally bookmarking this, what a fabulous place! see you soon, Kyle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Boston. You brought back many wonderful memories. BTW, what type of camera do you use? The picture quality is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't the east coast grand in September? Looks like you had fun! Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Claudine, I use a Canon 5D...it's amazing!

    ReplyDelete