6/14/2011

Agate on Acrylic

By now we're probably all aware of the rock trend that's been going on in both fashion and decor. Stones seem to be on everything from jewelry to lamps. I'm liking this trend because rocks are geological formations and thus each one is unique. Further, most of the rocks used for aesthetic adornments are sparkly and vividly colored which are ideal qualities for home decor applications. I'm loving the colorful agates that are everywhere at the moment. I especially love seeing them paired with acrylic because agates are somewhat transparent and acrylic lets the light filter through them. So, I've been wanting to get my hands on something that combines the two materials.

On a recent trip to Blue Print I picked up a rich blue agate coaster that looks much like the ones made by RabLabs (and it may very well be from RabLabs). I bought it with the purpose of using it on an acrylic ice bucket that we received as a wedding gift. The bucket is gorgeous on its own, but I thought it would be fun to jazz it up a bit with an agate (I also considered using Malachite stones but thought an agate would be better since it's more transparent). I haven't broken out the glue yet, so tell me what you think of the idea...

Here's the agate...isn't it the prettiest shade of blue?


Topping the ice bucket...

The blue lacquer in the shelves above the bar ties in nicely doesn't it?



And I couldn't resist including a shot of the cutest gift bag EVER...it's a little square :)

So, what do you think...should I add the agate? If I don't I can easily use the pretty little rock as a coaster.

9 comments:

  1. I think it looks great on the acrylic box. Go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it looks awesome on top of the ice bucket!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it looks incredible!! ( So does the whole bar! ) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think so, it's really tying in that lovely blue color.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks great on the ice bucket, do it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great, Kyle! By the way, I have the exact same tray- from WS Home, right? I LOVE it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kelly - that tray from WSH is one of my all-time fav things!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What if you just left it sitting there and didnt glue it? Since its probably not in use often, just leave it on when its not in use. But, I agree with you I like how the blue colors go together!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do it! Love it! It is TO perfect with those painted shelves!

    ReplyDelete